The Half Marathon at the Great Southern Bolt will undoubtedly be South Australia’s fastest.
Run on an amazingly scenic, point-to-point course from Myponga to Aldinga Bay. There is half as much beach as the Great Southern Half Marathon, the same beautiful loop of the Aldinga Scrub Conservation Park and A LOT MORE DOWNHILL!
|Sunday 30 July 2023
|Cut Off Time
|Hansen Street, Myponga
|Aldinga Bay Surf Life Saving Club, Norman Rd, Aldinga Beach
|15 years on race day, unless accompanied by an adult
|Online Registration Close
|5:00pm, Saturday 29 July 2023
Race day registrations for the half marathon will NOT be available.
Entry Fees & Inclusions
Super Early Bird
|To midnight on Sunday 21 May 2023
|To midnight on Sunday 2 July 2023
|To midnight on Thursday 27 July 2023
|To 5:00 pm on Saturday 29 July 2023
Cost includes GST and all administration & credit card fees – what you see is what you pay!
- Race Entry
- Basic Refund Cover (enhanced Diamond Cover is available for a small additional fee)
- Aid Stations
- Race Day Medical Support
- Electronic Timing
- Post-Race Fruit and Massage
A finisher’s medal can be purchased online with your registration for $6
Bus to Start Line
A bus service will run from the finish area at Aldinga Bay Surf Life Saving Club to the race start line in Myponga on race morning.
First bus departs 6:15 am. Last bus departs 7:00 am.
Bus tickets are available for $15.00 when you register online. A coloured wristband will be issued with your race number, which you must wear on race day to be permitted to use the bus service.
BUS TICKETS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ON RACE MORNING.
All courses are currently provisional, subject to final council and government permits being obtained.
The Great Southern Bolt starts on Hansen Street, Road, Myponga and finishes at Aldinga Bay Surf Life Saving Club, Norman, Road, Silver Sands.
- Run north on Main South Road for approximately 7.2 KM past drink station 1 and the giant Buddha statue on Sellicks Hill.
- Turn left on to Country Road, crossing Sellicks Beach Road (past drink station 2) on to Justs Road.
- Turn left on to Button Road, over the pebble bank at the end and on to the beach.
- Run north on Silver Sands beach for 1 KM, turning right on to Norman Road and past the finish area at the Aldinga Bay Surf Life Saving Club (drink station 3).
- Follow Norman Road for 700m before turning left into Aldinga scrub. Follow the road & fire trail until you exit the scrub on to Cox Road. A 1 KM section of road will take you past the Aldinga Beach Caravan Park and back into the Aldinga Scrub.
- Follow the fire trail for about 1.5 KM, exiting the scrub at Hart Road.
- Follow the through the Aldinga Wetlands and past drink station 4 at the end of Rowley Road.
- Follow the bitumen path between to Dover Street, then right on to Fraser Street, right on to Maurice Street and left down Morgan Street.
- A controlled crossing will take you across the Aldinga Esplanade where you turn left to re-join the beach for the final 2 KM to the finish line.
Water stations on the Half Marathon course will be located on Main South Road (4.5K), at the Sellicks Beach Road crossing (8.5K), at the Aldinga Bay Surf Life Saving Club (12KM) and as you exit the Aldinga wetlands (16.5KM).
We do not expect it to be too warm in July so please drink to thirst & be careful not to over-hydrate.
Only compostable cups made from plant-based materials will be used during the Great Southern Bolt to minimize our impact on the environment. Please try to hit the bins provided at the water stations and be aware that littering on the course will result in disqualification. Runners may also carry their own drink bottle or cup to refill at water stations.
Toilets can be found on course at the Aldinga Bay Surf Life Saving Club (12K) and the Aldinga Boat Ramp (19K).
Cut Off Time
A tail runner will follow the last runner around the course for safety reasons and to relieve marshals from their positions. If you fail to maintain the minimum pace you will be asked to stop and return directly to the finish area. This is the last thing we want to do on race day so if you are not confident that you can complete the half marathon in under 3 hours please enter either the 12K or 5K event instead.
Please be courteous to our marshals and other volunteers. Remember that they are giving up their Sunday morning to make sure that you will enjoy your run.
ALWAYS FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY COURSE MARSHALS.
Runner safety is our utmost priority and traffic control on the road sections of the course will be managed by Workzone Traffic Control.
You will be running on a mixture of roads that are fully closed or still open to traffic under speed restrictions so it is essential that you follow signs & instructions and always run inside of the cones where they are present. Traffic will be managed so that runners have priority over vehicles throughout the course, but you should still remain vigilant for any cars exiting driveways, etc.
Silver Sands beach will be open to cars on race day and has a 10 KM/H speed limit (though you can run faster if you like!). Minimal traffic is expected on the beach in May but you should remain aware of any vehicles around you.